From 1st January 2015, all newly introduced vehicles must meet Euro 6 standards. Euro 6 is a piece of European Legislation aimed at making cars more environmentally friendly by limiting their exhaust emissions. The legislation sets restrictions on how much nitrogen oxide (NOx) and hydrocarbon gases may be emitted per kilometre by a road vehicle. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) also known as AdBlue®, is a non-toxic, colourless, odourless and non-flammable fluid. Stored in a dedicated tank in your car, it is injected into the exhaust system to clean exhaust gases.
The distance until your next DEF refill can be viewed at any time in the message centre on the dashboard*. Follow these simple steps:
1. Switch on the ignition, but do not start the engine (Check that a valid smart key is inside the vehicle and ensure that the brake pedal is not pressed. Hold down the engine START/STOP button until the instrument panel warning lamps illuminate)
2. Press the OK button on the steering wheel control to access the Main Menu (On some models, repeatedly press the OK button until Driver Assistance is displayed)
3. Using the down arrow button on the steering wheel control, scroll down and highlight Vehicle Info
4. Press the OK button to confirm selection
5. Scroll down to highlight Diesel Exhaust Fluid (On some models this is displayed as Next Service)
6. Press the OK button to confirm selection. The DEF range is then displayed
*Not all vehicles are equipped to display the above information. Contact your Land Rover Retailer/Authorised Repairer for clarification.
The message centre on your dash board will notify you with an amber warning message if your DEF level is low followed by and amber warning icon. We advise top up at this point. If you continue to drive with the amber warning message, you will next receive a countdown of the remaining distance until the DEF tank is empty. Once empty your vehicle will fail to start. For more information please watch this video: